OK, Christmas is done for another year and now it's game back on! I've been mulling over blog topics and thought I'd tackle Readings; whether to have one or not.
When I first meet with a couple and ask what sort of ceremony they would like, the answer, nearly every time, is 'we want a relaxed ceremony, something short and sweet, definitely simple and definitely not too long.' I'd like a $ for every time my couples have said this to me. And, I get it. Our lives are complicated enough and planning the rest of the day can be onerous so I understand the desire to keep it simple. But, short and sweet, relaxed and basic doesn't have to mean boring, over-and-done-with-in-five-minutes, just-the-legals-please, type of ceremony. It can still encompass meaning, relevance and emotion and the decision of whether to include a Reading or not can often just add that personal stamp of you as a couple. As an added bonus, it may also provide an opportunity for you as it can be a great way to involve that special friend or relative in your big day.
Readings don't have to be biblical or stuffy or old-fashioned. It might be a verse from a favourite song that you both love, a short poem from a modern-day poet or something more traditional. Whatever it is, make sure it resonates for you and your Reader. So, before you say no way Susie-Q, thanks but we don't want a reading, consider adding something short and simple in to your ceremony. It may only be 1-2 minutes in a 20-25 minute ceremony that sets an awesome vibe for the rest of your day. Give it a go, we can always delete it later or trim it back if needs be.
So, humour me and check out some of my suggestions below or scan the Readings section in my Wedding Kit.
A few of my favourite modern-day poets and authors:
Some older poets, authors and films:
- Rumi https://www.purelovequotes.com/author/rumi/
- Shakespeare https://www.romancefromtheheart.com/quotes/shakespeare-quotes.htm
- Louis de Bernieres https://www.goodreads.com/work/quotes/2771048-captain-corelli-s-mandolin
- Carrie's Poem (Sex and The City) https://i.pinimg.com/736x/4f/53/b5/4f53b5d55585160f8ec2913e4fa63830--baby-wedding-wedding-poems.jpg
- Perfect (Ed Sheeran)
- Baby, I'm dancing in the dark with you between my arms, Barefoot on the grass, listening to our favorite song, When you said you looked a mess, I whispered underneath my breath, But you heard it, darling, you look perfect tonight.
- Chasing Cars (Snow Patrol)
- If I lay here, If I just lay here, Would you lie with me and just forget the world? All that I am, All that I ever was, Is here in your perfect eyes, they're all I can see.
- All of Me (John Legend)
- Cause all of me loves all of you, Love your curves and all your edges, All your perfect imperfections, Give your all to me, I'll give my all to you, You're my end and my beginning, even when I lose I'm winning.
And, there we have it. I hope you have a bit of a think and a look before you've make your decision. I like my couples to know everything they can include in a ceremony before they say no thanks, Susie-Q!
Thanks for reading! lol Hit me up with any of your faves.